Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Liar Liar pants on fire!

As a mother, it warms my heart to hear the words, "I have a new best friend!" I was worried that my little first grader would be shy and take a while to make new friends. She was so accustomed to the friends that she had made in kindergarten. We watched her class video (yes, the one I made), at least once a day the week before school started. She was mourning the loss of her friends. So, I was thrilled when she started making "new" friends. But one of these "new" friends in particular is beginning to cause some strife in our home.

It started with, "Jade won't be in school tomorrow because she is going to Africa." Really? She's going to Africa? I don't think anyone would be surprised to hear that Jade was at school the next day. Apparently her dad told her she couldn't go. What a meanie. Then, I heard that Jade is taking piano lessons too. They just happen to be on the same day as Reagan. And wouldn't you know...apparently from the same teacher. It's odd that i have never seen her at Miss Barbara's house. I've also been told that Jade's mom kills animals to make fur coats (101 Dalmations anyone?), her brother (whose 11) goes parachuting, and her dad won a kajillion dollars on tv. Yesterday was Jade's birthday so today she told Reagan that EVERYONE else in the class already got her a present, so Reagan needed to get her one too. I explained, ever so gently, that we don't buy gifts for people unless we get an invitation to a birthday party.

Do you catch my drift? I'm beginning to think that miss Jade is a storyteller. I keep saying "she's only six," but this "only six" year old little girl is talking to my naive six year old and getting her to believe them too.

Any advice for this momma? Have your kids ever been friends with other kids that tend to stretch the truth? How do you explain discernment to a six year old?

So far, the best I've come up with is, "Jade makes stuff up." Oy vey!

5 comments:

  1. Dear Lord!!! Looks like Reagan is being called to be a missionary! :) What an ordeal... Sorry I don't have any advice; only sympathy and irritation right along with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't had that one happen yet...
    But I thought you were going to say that Jade was an imaginary friend - It's way more complicated since she's real!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've had some difficulty with a neighbor boy who's 10, but still comes to play with my 5yr old! It's hard to teach our kids that others don't always tell the truth, and sometimes the best thing to do is ignore them or choose not to play. It's taken quite a while to discourage Ella from wanting to play witht the neighbor kid, but finally is beginning to realize she doesn't like playing with him because he isn't always nice or truthful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha!! Welcome to the beginning of GIRL DRAMA!! Don't even bother trying to figure things out. Just listen and give direction when/if needed. I find it interesting how kids interpret 'things.' Good luck....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment! Make sure you have your email linked to your account so I can respond via email!

Followers

Blog Archive

Statcounter